Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tab Benoit

This weekend my sister Cathi and her friend Robin came into town to visit and they took me to see a cajun blues musician named Tab Benoit.
I know nothing about the blues except what I've learned from The Blues Brothers which is to say I know nothing about the blues. Before he came on there was an opening act that seemed pretty good to me but boy was I wrong. I'm sure they were fine but even my ignorant ear could tell within the first 10 seconds of Tab Benoit's set that he was leaps and bounds better than they. I've never seen anyone wail on a guitar like that. The sounds he can force out should not be coming from a guitar at all. If you get a chance to listen to any of his music or, better yet, if you get a chance to see him live, jump on it. I can garantee you'll have a great time.
Seeing this show pointed out to me once again the fact that there is a lot of music in the world. Just when I think I have a pretty well rounded collection of music that I like I stumble across whole new artists, genres and worlds of music that are great. Alas, my collection may never be complete but I suppose it's better that way.

Matt

No comments: