Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Baseball Players are Superstitious...

And someone has some explaining to do!
I'm sitting here watching the Cubs game right now. Through the first 6 innings the Cubs starter (Randy Wells), who is a rookie, was having a great game. He had no hits on six innings and had collected his first major league hit as well as an RBI. I wanted to know more about this guy so I went to wikipedia (like you do) to read his story when I'm presented with the following:
"Randy David Wells (born August 28, 1982 in Belleville, Illinois) is a Major League Baseball pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. Wells threw a complete game no-hitter on June 2, 2009, in a 4-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves in Atlanta."
Wait a minute! That game still isn't over! So now I was all worried that I had accidentally ruined the end of the game I had thought I was watching live.
However, in the 7th, the Braves got a hit and ended the no-hitter.
If I were Wells I would be pissed. What asshole jumped the gun?

Matt

Update: So now I've refreshed the page and the line is gone but instead there is the following:

"Wikipedia History or Curse?

Wells threw a one-hitter on June 2, 2009, in a 4-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves. After 7 2/3 innings of no-hit ball, this post was placed on wikipedia by one public editor and removed by a different editor only seconds later:

Wells threw a complete game no-hitter on June 2, 2009, in a 4-0 victory over the Atlanta Braves.

Only six minutes later, Chipper Jones broke up the no-hitter with a single. Many feel this post cursed Wells' chance of a no-hitter and put Wikipedia's status as an updated news source in jeopardy."

(For the record this is wrong too. The current score is 5-1 Cubs.)

Update 2: The Cubs just lost. Fuck Wikipedia

1 comment:

AdamB said...

Holy crap. It's wiki voodoo.

I'm changing my wiki page right now to say I died penniless, buried alive in a pauper's grave. I don't need any jinxes. Lock that page.