Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Good Feeling

Every so often I will see just a snippet of a movie preview or a poster or an ad and will be immediately convinced that it will be good. Perhaps this can be put down to good advertising but I like to think that I have a good firstimpressionometer for movies. Usually my meter goes off on movies that are no brainers, things anyone would guess that I would like. What's more fun and exciting for me is when I get a feeling about a movie that, on the surface, looks like it might really suck or at least is not really aimed at my demographic. As far as I remember my vibe has not failed me. A few examples of movies that were much better than they looked and for which I had a vibe are Eight Below, Dreamer, and George of the Jungle. Today I can add another movie to that list.
Seeing a few tv ads and a movie poster or two I was totally convinced that The Golden Compass was going to be great. Carrie and I just returned from the theater and I was dead on balls right. What a god damn movie! I won't go into any details about it here except to say that if you find that my choices in movies are usually pretty sound then trust me on this one and go see it as soon as you can.

Matt

No comments: